Each year, Meals For The Elderly participates in the national March For Meals campaign. March For Meals is a campaign that takes place during the month of March, because it was during this month that the law was enacted that included senior meal programs in the Older Americans Act. While this act does not affect programs like Meals For The Elderly (because we are NOT a government agency), it does provide much-needed support for programs in other areas.
The purpose of the campaign is three-fold: 1) to increase awareness of senior hunger in America, and particularly in our community, 2) to increase funding for local meal delivery programs to combat senior hunger, and 3) to increase the number of volunteers during this month to help with our local program.
After the completion of the campaign, meal programs from across the nation have the opportunity to apply for a grant based on their campaign. Meals For The Elderly is proud to annouce that our campaign last year won us a grant from Meals On Wheels America (MOWA).
This year's campaign included the following initiatives:
- Food Connection Day On Tuesday, from 11am to 1 pm the TGC Farm Bureau will offer $.50 hamburgers or hamburgers for 2 canned goods during lunch at the Farm Bureau Office (2575 Loop 306) and it is the 3rd wonderful yearto be the beneficiary for this event and it is such a great opportunity to connect with our community.
- March 14th: .22 Fun Match San Angelo Gun Club with rifle and pistol stands with several rotation times to choose from, and we are the beneficiary of the $10 entry fee or equivalent canned good donation! We’ll be out there to say thank you and those guys have a ton of fun! Questions should be directed to Linda Ashton 325-656-4322 or check out our webpage MealsForTheElderly.org or on our facebook profile for more details.
- March 26th: Rosas Gives Back to Seniors
(4335 Knickerbocker location only)
From 11am-8:30pm, we will be receiving a portion of the sales of Rosas' customers who have a flyer or tell their cashier they want to support Meals For The Elderly. Drive thru or dine in, it all counts if you make it count. Just tell them you love Meals For The Elderly. You can help feed a senior just by feeding yourself.
- Throughout March: Curves Canned Good Drive
- Curves is helping us and helping women get fit, with their newest incentive for joining. Donate $30 or $30 value of canned goods, and your $90 ENROLLMENT FEE is waived. That's $0 to enroll if you help out our organization. With a central location, great hours, and proven results, why not give them a call? Call 325-223-5977 to set up an appointment, or head to 3544 Knickerbocker Road.
- Throughout March:Maurices Stands Against Senior Hunger
Maurices Clothing store will be giving 20% off a regularly priced item for 3 canned goods during the month of March. Spring is here and with this deal, you should have NO problem kicking the winter blues and stepping out in all the latest spring fashions... all the while helping us feed homebound seniors! WIN WIN!
- Throughout March: Texas Bank Canned Food Drive Throughout March, all Texas Bank locations will collect canned food to benefit our precious clients. 3 convenient locations:
Main Branch College Hills Branch
2201 Sherwood Way 4206 College Hills Blvd.
1815 N. Chadbourne St.
- Throughout March: Howard College San Angelo Campus Future Business Leaders of America Canned Food Drive Throughout March, FBLA will lead the Howard student body and
- faculty in a campus-wide food drive. Boxes will be located in various locations on campus. Their goal is to motivate students to remember to give back and contribute to their community.
- Throughout March: Oliver, Rainey & Wotjek Canned Food Drive Throughout March, Oliver, Rainey & Wotjek will hold an internal canned food drive to benefit our precious clients.
The Meals on Wheels movement is powered by people just like you. Together, we are a movement of more than 2.5 million seniors, 2 million volunteers, 100,000 dedicated staff and tens of thousands donors strong. And, we need your help to ensure the nutrition programs supporting our most vulnerable seniors are funded and protected.
Join us with a SACK SENIOR HUNGER FUNDRAISER (it's EASY!) or a
canned food drive this month