Each year, Meals For The Elderly participates in the national March For Meals campaign. March For Meals is a campaign that takes place during the month of March, because it was during this month that the law was enacted that included senior meal programs in the Older Americans Act. While this act does not affect programs like Meals For The Elderly (because we are NOT a government agency), it does provide much-needed support for programs in other areas.
The purpose of the campaign is three-fold: 1) to increase awareness of senior hunger in America, and particularly in our community, 2) to increase funding for local meal delivery programs to combat senior hunger, and 3) to increase the number of volunteers during this month to help with our local program.
After the completion of the campaign, meal programs from across the nation have the opportunity to apply for a grant based on their campaign. Meals For The Elderly is proud to annouce that our campaign last year won us a $1,000 grant from the Meals On Wheels Association of America (MOWAA).
This year's campaign included the following initiatives:
- March 27th: Rosas Gives Back to Seniors
- (4335 Knickerbocker location only)
From 11am-8:30pm, we will be receiving a portion of the sales of Rosas' customers who have a flyer or tell their cashier they want to support Meals For The Elderly. Drive thru or dine in, it all counts if you make it count. Just tell them you love Meals For The Elderly. You can help feed a senior just by feeding yourself.
- Throughout March: Curves Canned Good Drive
- Curves is helping us and helping women get fit, with their newest incentive for joining. Donate $30 or $30 value of canned goods, and your $90 ENROLLMENT FEE is waived. That's $0 to enroll if you help out our organization. With a central location, great hours, and proven results, why not give them a call? Call 325-223-5977 to set up an appointment, or head to 3544 Knickerbocker Road.
- March 15th & 16th: 39th Greater San Angelo Crafts Guild
From 9am-5pm (Saturday) 12pm-4pm (Sunday) at the Wells Fargo Pavillion at hte San Angelo fairgrounds (50 E. 34th Street), come shop, eat and enjoy fun and friendship at the craft guild. Handcrafted items of all kinds will be on sale and if you BRING CANNED GOODS FOR MEALS FOR THE ELDERLY you will receive an EXTRA TICKET for the hourly drawings. I like those odds! Celebrate craftiness and help feed some hungry seniors. What a great combination!
- Throughout March: Bealls Fundraiser
- During March, Bealls at Sunset Mall will give their customers the chance to donate $1 to help feed our precious clients and receive a coupon for 30% off! Please say "YES" at the register when they ask if you would like to donate. We are so grateful for the chance to help raise some funding to feed seniors in 2014, but we can't do it without you!
- March 26th: Community Champions Day
Our Mayor, Dwain Morrison, and other community champions will deliver meals alongside our faithful volunteers to see first-hand the impact that our program has on the homebound elderly who depend on us.
- Throughout March: Heroes Against Hunger
- Local military, firemen, and law enforcement personnel will be delivering some of our routes throughout March to support our effort to end senior hunger in the Tom Green County.
- Throughout March: Maurices Stands Against Senior Hunger
Maurices Clothing store will be giving 20% off a regularly priced item for 3 canned goods during the month of March. Spring is here and with this deal, you should have NO problem kicking the winter blues and stepping out in all the latest spring fashions... all the while helping us feed homebound seniors! WIN WIN!